After 26/06/2017 no more work experiences demands will be accepted.
Please take into account that an official Work Experience agreement, signed by the direction of EEB1, the company or organization of placement and yourself is necessary to be insured by the school and officially participate in the Work Experience program.
- WEX opportunity: Serve The City
We are glad to announce that we have received confirmation from Serve the City (www.servethecity.be) that the BIG VOLUNTEER WEEK will be organized from 03/07/2017-08/07/2017.If you are interested to participate in this exciting work experience, please send your motivation letter and cv to firstname.lastname@example.org with email@example.com in copy. Good luck!
- Work experience opportunity: Bibliothèque nationale de Belgique: envoyer une demande par mail au firstname.lastname@example.org (avec une lettre de motivation et un CV). Le mail doit bien stipuler la période du stage (au moins un stage d’un mois – date de début et date de fin du stage)
We are pleased to announce that EUROCONTROL (https://www.eurocontrol.int) continuous with the tradition to host students to get them familiar with Air Traffic Management.
ATM Awareness Programme will be held from Monday 3rd July until Friday 7th July 2017. This programme is aimed at 6th year secondary students will be composed of no more than 12 students (for all the European schools located in Brussels).
An internship agreement has to be signed by all concerned before this Awareness Programme starts.
A draft agenda will follow shortly .
Please send the applications along with a motivation letter by Friday 2nd June to Mrs Dara of Eurocontrol at the following e-mail address: email@example.com and put Mr Beliën in cc firstname.lastname@example.org.
What does it mean ?
- The work experience program offers 6th grade students (and 5th grade students if they are highly motivated) the opportunity to have a real experience in a company or organization during the school year’s last week or during their holidays.
- Students are invited to find a company for their placement by themselves. However, lists are available and the head of program can provide them with ad hoc advice. In addition, the school is offering a limited number of placements. Only 6th grade students will be entitled to apply for such placements as soon as the information will be provided by organizing companies.
- So far, the students have chosen various areas for their work experience: medical, journalism, translation, science, IT, zoology, administration,…
- Spoken languages are mainly French and English but also Dutch, Spanish, German and others, as work experiences can take place in an EU country. It can obviously be an opportunity to improve your language skills as well.
- All students participating to the program will be covered by an insurance provided by the school.
Why should you participate ?
- To discover the professional world
- To check whether you clearly understand what your dream job is all about
- It’s a great opportunity
- To gain the necessary experience to apply to some universities
How to participate ?
First of all, you need to fill in the registration form & the parents’ consent form.
Then, once you have been accepted in a company/organization, you will complete a work experience contract, signed by you the student, the parents, the school’s headmaster and the organization.
After the work experience, a brief report must be written, and given to Mr Beliën.
A certificate will be delivered to each participating student assuming all administrative paper work is complete.
Following the Education Council held on May, 10th, 2012, new regulations have been approved for the work experience organization. They came into effect in September 2012.
- As of 2012-2013, work experience will be offered to 6th grade students and not any more to 5th grade students (except if they are highly motivated). Only one week of school time will be booked for the work experience (last week before the holidays). However, students will be encouraged to continue their internship for a second week during the summer holidays. Work experience will be allowed during every holiday period. Year 6 students who do not go on schooltrip are invited to have a work experience during that week.
- Although highly recommended, work experience is not compulsory.
- Students can go for an internship in all EU countries. Due to the variety of placements and the number of risks, students will be asked to find a work experience in an EU member state.
- Traineeships in other countries might be authorized if parents/legal tutor :Discharge the schoolmaster of his responsibility related to the organization and the follow-up of the work experience,…
- Cover all costs related to transportation, repatriation, medical (hospitalization regardless of the reason : sickness, accident,…)
- Declare in writing not to sue the European School for all matters related to a non EU work experience.
Respect of « the behaviour code of the perfect trainee ! » :
- Perfect punctuality : If you use public transportation, make sure that you arrive on time. During school holiday, train/tram/MTR/buses are less frequent and the schedule might change
- Appropriate dress code : you are not going to the beach or night club ! Even if temperature rises, wear decent clothes and for the girls, discrete makeup. A tie is not required for trainees.
- A bit of foresight: some companies or organizations might offer lunch but, most of the time, you must pay yourself for your sandwich. Make sure that you have enough money with you, especially if your work experience place is far away from a cash machine
- Respect of « savoir-vivre » rules : do not raid the biscuits box or the Expresso machine. Wait until someone offers you a soft drink or a snack before helping yourself… Be polite : thank, greet and use appropriate vocabulary…
- And particularly, be curious, proactive, get interested in the way the company works overall, ask questions, concentrate when you have a rather complex task, discuss with your parents in the evening if you had a problem, create contacts with people around you,… and enjoy this experience so different from school !
Report that needs to be given to Mr Beliën before September, 30th. This report must consist of :
- A front page with :
– Your name, class in 2016-2017 and in 2017-2018 mail address, mobile number ;
– Working place : name of the company/organization, address, name of the person responsible for the work experience and his/her mail address
– Dates of the work experience
- The report itself (2 to 3 A4 pages) with :
– A short summary of the company/organisation : company’s type (multinational, big, average, small or micro company) or organisation (humanitarian, educational, medical, political,..), number of people, type of goods or services,…
– A detailed description of the different daily tasks;
– A personal feedback of the experience : what did I learn during this work experience ? Does this traineeship help me to make a better choice for my future (studies and job) ?
This important report will be added to your school file and be precious for university applications.
Before 30th September (or earlier if you had your WEX during October, Christmas, February , Easter, May holidays)
Delivery of a work experience certificate by the Faculty (a cocktail party will be organized for all trainees). The students who did not submit their work experience report will not receive any certificate
Finding a company
Students are expected to find a company by themselves. However, the project coordinator has a list including previous years’ locations for consultation. That list is confidential and can neither be copied nor uploaded on the website.
During the second term, some internships will be suggested to the school by Eurocontrol & ServeTheCityBrussels (charity workexperience). This list will be published in March/April and 6th grade students will then be allowed to apply (respecting the application procedures of the three institutions).
The project coordinator is available to help students find a company according to their skills, interests and motivation.
To write your resume, you can :
- adapt this cv example
- use the European template that can be downloaded from :
- create your own CV with the help of :
Any other question? Please contact Mr Jan Beliën.